RESTORATION PROJECT OF THE CHURCH OF EXALTATION OF THE CROSS
Samara Architectural Construction Academy
Church of exaltation of The Cross - the first church built by the Old Believers in Syzran in the years 1909-1912. The architecture of the temple combines the characteristic features of the provincial pseudo-Russian style, but with the inclusion of some atypical elements. To date, the bell tower was lost completely, the five-domed top, floors, ceilings and interior either.
Today it is an object of cultural heritage of regional significance
During the work on the project full-scale copyright and historical and archival research of cultural heritage were carried out, including: photographic images, architectural measurements of the facades, the plan (by triangulation), the original filling door and window frames, performed and composed analog range. The collected information allowed to recreate for certain the exterior view of the original completion of the quadrangle. The proportions of the lost bell tower managed to reproduce the measurements of the ruins and archive photos. The original mark of floor levels of the temple was identified, boarded ceiling in the form of a closed vault with stripping was also recovered.
Since one of the basic theses of the development of the project was the priority
of the value of the original material and constructive structure of the object, the material finishing newly constructed structures differs from the original. Roofing and domes are made of copper on a steel frame.
This ensures next:
-contextuality architectural design of the temple in relation to the historic fabric of the city;
-appealing to the cultural codes of the Old Believers of the Volga region;
-emphasis on the authenticity of the extanted material.
This allows to create a strict appearence of the monument. It emphasize its role in the panorama of the street. At the moment, object is surrounded by significantly disturbed historic environment, characterized by a large number of clashing objects.